According to the U.S. Department of Energy, commercial HVAC equipment can last up to 10 years, but your system may show signs that it needs to be replaced long before its 10th anniversary. Continue reading to learn a few of the indications that you need to upgrade to a new system:
- Rising utility bills: Regardless of the cost, your energy bills should remain relatively constant throughout the year. HVAC equipment gets less efficient as time goes on, which leads to higher bills. If your energy bills get more expensive month over month and year over year, invest in a new system.
- Uneven heating or cooling: Something’s clearly amiss if some areas of your building are warmer or cooler than others. Instead of chalking this up as an anomaly, call an HVAC contractor to perform an inspection. There could be leaks in your air ducts or the system may be on its last leg. Our team at McGee Refrigeration can diagnose and correct the problem.
- Strange noises: Grinding, hissing or squealing sounds coming from your HVAC system aren’t normal. If you hear anything strange while the air or heat is on, you need to call an HVAC technician. If you call as soon as possible, your technician might be able to make small and relatively simple repairs instead of replacing the system entirely.
- Unusual odors: The air coming from your vents also shouldn’t smell funky. If anything smells off, there could be dangerous mold growth in your system, or the equipment may be failing. Cleaning the system may take care of the issue. However, repairs or replacement may be required if the issue is severe.
- Poor air quality: As long as your AC is working properly, your indoor air quality should remain good throughout the summer. If you notice that the air is excessively humid or see mold growth in the office, you may need to replace your failing AC. Additionally, severely damaged units can cause lethal carbon monoxide poisoning during the heating season.
Why should you replace your HVAC equipment?
Replacing your commercial HVAC isn’t cheap. However, it’s worth the investment. These are a few reasons to upgrade your equipment:
- Reduce operating costs: As we touched on above, older HVAC equipment tends to cost more to operate. A new energy-efficient system will reduce your monthly bills and can even pay for itself over the next few years.
- Improve air quality: The top way to ensure your air is healthy and you don’t find yourself dealing with sick building syndrome (SBS) due to poor air quality is to replace your old unit. Employees won’t just stay healthy with a new system—they may also be more productive!
- Peace of mind: Finally, installing a new HVAC system will give you peace of mind knowing you won’t have to deal with breakdowns and pay for expensive repairs. Instead of worrying about your AC, you can focus on more important tasks throughout the day.
Hire McGee Refrigeration to install your equipment
For the best service at affordable rates, call our team at McGee Refrigeration to install your new commercial HVAC system. Contact us today to get a quote for your new equipment.