Now that we’re spending a lot more time at home—especially in the dog days of summer, directly under the air conditioner—many people wonder whether their indoor air is helping or harming them. It’s a lot harder to open the doors and windows to ventilate your home when the temperatures regularly reach triple digits.
Here’s the good news: using your air conditioning can actually improve your indoor air quality in Visalia, CA. Your air conditioner sucks air in, then forces it over cold coils to bring the temperature down. It’s sent through a filter, which catches dust and other large particles. Then the air handler removes excess moisture before the air is sent back into your home. This cycle continues until all the air in your home is cool and as irritant-free as possible.
If you’re having trouble breathing and the air still feels stuffy, you can try these tips and tricks to improve your indoor air quality with your AC in Visalia, CA:
- Change the filter more often: Your air conditioner’s filter is your first line of defense against dust, pollen and other pollutants. You should be changing your filter at least once per month, and even more frequently during the summer. (If that sounds costly, opting for reusable/washable filters can help cut down on expense.) This also helps your air conditioner run more efficiently—it won’t need to work as hard to push air through a dirty filter.
- Tighten and clean ducts: Whether you do it yourself or get professional help, clean ducts drastically cut down on the amount of dust that blows through your air conditioner. This will likely involve crawling around your attic to tighten and clean them.
- Clean your evaporator coil: If your evaporator coil is dirty, the air blowing over it won’t cool down as thoroughly as normal. Depending on how your unit is set up, you may need to have a professional clean the coil.
- Get a better filter: In addition to changing your filter frequently, you can also upgrade your filter. Look for one that’s specifically designed to filter out allergens as well as larger particles.
- Upgrade your system: Some air conditioners are simply past their useful lifespan, or need upgrades to handle hot Visalia summers. Whether you opt for germ-killing UV lights or other features, upgrading your air conditioner can go a long way toward improving your indoor air quality. Even better, today’s technology has made new air conditioners more energy efficient, so you’ll also save money on your monthly bills.
- Call a professional for a tune-up: Finally, you can—and should—get your air conditioner inspected and tuned up at least once per year. Professional air conditioner technicians can inspect your entire system, fix leaks and other problems and make sure you have the right filter for your system.
McGee Refrigeration is here to get you through the long, hot summer. Call us today to set up an appointment for an inspection, repair or upgrade so your air conditioning can improve your indoor air quality in Visalia, CA, rather than make it worse!